Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Roundup

Well, the second half of my contract was pretty similar to the first half in that it was hectic and exhausting. I worked around 60 hours a week, had colds, tried to spend time with Jack and also get sleep when I could and forced myself out of bed and outside into the beautiful ports we were visiting (although not as often as I would have liked).

Here is a whirlwind tour of some of the best days I had in the last month or two on the ship…

More shells for my ever-expanding collection.


I’m sure that some of you might have noticed that I do not have much of a tan this contract. That is because, despite all my good intentions, I made it to the beach exactly…. once. In the past five months. Which I have spent in the Caribbean. Rest assured, it was a beautiful day. I only wish there had been more like it!



Jack turned 29 and we had a beautiful dinner and night out at the specialty restaurant on the ship, Murano’s (again).

Definitely one of the most amazing and decadent meals of the contract, we enjoyed fois gras, goat cheese souflee, a whole pile of deserts and special treats from the chef and our entrees, which for some reason I didn’t take pictures of (steak and pasta).








I spent a couple of relaxing afternoons in Cozumel being pampered by the women working in a tiny salon near my favourite restaurant in town.

A short list of things I will definitely miss about Mexico includes the $10 manicures and pedicures and $15 massages from these cute little ladies.

This is maybe the only photo I took in Jamaica.
I will also (very much) miss the cheap but delicious food at this beautiful restaurant, La Choza. Jack and I would have chips with Mexican cheese and avocado dips when we arrived, nachos, quesadillas, and each a beautiful entree (I loved the fish dishes and he was a big fan of the kababs cooked on charcoals), which each came with a soup, as well as drinks. Our bills averaged about $30 US. Pretty amazing, eh?!?!

(Just a small side note. Do you notice how much Jack and I eat?!?! We are ALWAYS eating on this blog!! It must look like it’s our favourite past time…. Which, of course, it is!)

Finally one more thing that I will miss about Cozumel was how unexpected it could be.

One night after dinner Jack and I wandered down to the main street only to find it full of a huge, very elaborate and extremely impressive parade (it was Carnival).

This was the best parade I have ever seen and I was amazed that in a tiny Mexican town on a tiny Mexican island the floats, costumes, music and dancing put any North American parade I’ve ever seen to shame. Very impressive.













Some things I will not miss about Mexico for the next little while:

* The yucky, bold, catcalling men. Ooooh beautiful senorita, ooooh sexy lady, ooooh come over here pretty lady…. etc.

* People trying to rip me off. In a place where most things are bought after intensive haggling (if the buyer is smart) and where the most common customer is a rich, American cruise ship passenger, things can get a little out of hand.



* As weird as it sounds, the HEAT. I am ready for some winter, baby. It’s been a few years! And home is where I’m headed, back to the winter! Maybe I will change my mind with the first frigid gust of wind, but right now I can’t wait. Wish me luck!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss Mexico... a lot. At the time I'd had enough, but I miss it now. I definitely don't miss the job, but I think about all the good times on a daily basis.

So, I hear you guys are going to the Millenium? Awesome. How long is your vacation? Email me.

And yes, I am in Ft Mac.

10:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home