Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I love the way a magnificent sunset can unite perfect strangers. Up on the walking deck, mid-stride, I can’t stand it anymore. I must go and get my camera. The lemony yellows and buttery highlights of this seascape are too unusual to pass up.

Walk abandoned, I stand on the deck contentedly, alternately gazing and snapping frames. The sky is wondrous to behold; lines of blue and white and a faint peach intersect everything, but it is the yellow!!! … the soft, lemony yellow that I can’t tear my eyes from.

A young, European couple approaches to ask if I can take their photo. They look like newlyweds and the love that infuses their words and actions is palpable and makes me smile. I take several photos of them and their exhilarated smiles.

A few minutes later it is an Indonesian cook, asking in his shy, unsure English, if I might take one of him. “Of course,” I tell him. In a crew of almost 900, on a ship this size, I’m not sure I have ever seen him before, but in this moment, staring with him into the last light of this sunset, I feel he is my friend.

On a whim, I ask him to take one of me too, even though I am dressed in gym clothes and have a bad cold. The result is not picture-perfect, but it is a memory for me.

I wish I had a copy of his photo, of him standing five feet tall in his white cook uniform - the two of us separated by continents, language and culture, but somehow united in our beaming smiles of delight at this breathtaking sunset.










10 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

Hi Myra, this post gave me goose bumps. I wish that the world could be this peaceful and welcoming everyday!
Safe Travels,
Lynn

11:22 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

simply breathtaking...
i wish i was there with you.
it reminds me of a michael franks song lyric "barefoot on the beach
I watch for you on the horizon,
That's where you promised you would be...." your writing is beautiful :)
i miss you
love you
ishka

4:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, as always. Made me tear up. I will always miss that feeling, I wish it wasn't all so bittersweet.

5:40 p.m.  
Blogger Evelyn said...

Gorgeous Myra both the sunset and your encredible writing skills. You have a way with words that makes me feel like I'm already there with you. I basically just seen, felt and lived that sunset, and yes it was amazing! :D

6:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I'm listening to Rufus and reading your blog, and I miss you so much that my heart physically hurts.

Okay, come home now. :)

Love

Stephen

11:07 p.m.  
Blogger Myra said...

You are all so sweet! Thank you for the nice compliments. I miss you all....

1:43 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Myra you are so unbelieveable.....If you wrote a book I know I could never put it down. Love You and I'm glad you had a nice birthday....Can't wait to give you a hug.

Love Aunt Yvonne

9:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See this is what I was talking about...you are an incredibly talented writer and photographer Myra. So impressive. These photos are amazing. I've often missed our Isle Madame sunsets when I lived away,as I'm sure you do, but this one looks so warm and comforting. At that very moment I'm sure there is no place on earth you would have rather been.
Thanks for sharing it.
Jess

9:27 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Happy Belated!

9:28 a.m.  
Blogger Raegan Neville: said...

Myra, what a wonderful entry, thanks for sharing your moment with us, your fans...and you look pretty darn good considering you just came from the gym! And...happy belated birthday!!!

1:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home