Wednesday, November 29, 2006

We spent one very hot day on the island of Malta, in the Mediterranean Sea. Malta has a rich and varied history that is more than 7000 years old. In the year 60 AD Saint Paul was shipwrecked on the island and converted the population to Christianity. During World War II, the island, which occupies a strategic location in the central Mediterranean, was heavily bombed by German forces. In fact more bombs fell on Malta in two months during 1942 then fell on London throughout the entire blitz. The Maltese, however, refused to be conquered.

The town of Valetta, Malta’s capital, is filled with beautifully preserved buildings and overlooks the sweeping Grand Harbour. This is a place I definitely want to return to for a more thorough visit.



For now Malta still has it's own currency, however next year it will be replaced by the Euro. I was lucky enough to get my hands on some of these beautiful coins.


Malta is a very popular tourist destination.

Jack and I having a quiet lunch and coffee in Malaga, Spain.

2 Comments:

Blogger Evelyn said...

How does it keep getting more gorgeous? I figured there wouldn't be anything as nice as Taormina! But you proved me wrong once again. Hopefully I'll get to see it all for myself someday.

3:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, beautiful. Miss you much.

Stephen

11:57 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home