Sunday, November 05, 2006

Jerusalem

The only bad thing about Jerusalem was that we only spent one day there. This is a city where you could spend weeks wandering, seeing the sights, sitting in peace, and for me, taking photos. It broke my heart to leave but I have extracted a promise from Jack that next time we will go for much longer.

The hills of Jerusalem, almost exactly as I imagined them.

The Temple Mount is a very holy and very conflicted part of the city. The old city is divided into four quarters: Jewish, Christian, Muslim and Armenian.

On the Temple Mount, however, the Jewish and Muslim quarters meet. This spot is sacred to both religions. For Jews, it is the site of the Western Wall, the most holy place in the world for them, and all that remains of their great temple, which was destroyed almost 2000 years ago. For Muslims it is the site of the Dome of the Rock, completed in the year 691, which marks the spot where their prophet Muhammed was supposed to have ascended into heaven on the back of a winged horse.

We were very lucky to get into two tours the day we were there. The first was of the City of David, where we walked the walls of the old city and heard their story.

The second was the Tunnel Tour. During this tour we explored the ancient tunnels that are being excavated under the Temple Mount and the Muslim Quarter of the old city. There are 13 stories below ground level that were filled in over the years.

Us in front of the Western Wall.

Dome of the Rock, behind me.













Al-Aqsa mosque.
The peaceful, winding streets of the Jewish Quarter.

















Nearby, in the Christian Quarter is the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, which was built first in the year 335 on the site of the hill where Jesus was crucified and buried. It is the most sacred place in the world for Christians. Inside, is the tomb of Christ, where three people at a time may kneel and pray.

The tomb.




I feel incredibly lucky to have spent even one day in this ancient, beautiful and holy city. And although I felt very safe while I was there, it makes me sad to know that such an incredible place is divided by so much religious conflict. I can only hope that someday things will be more peaceful, and more people will be willing to visit a place many have dreamed of seeing.

My suggestion to everyone is that if you ever, EVER have a chance to visit this wonderful country, please take it. Whatever your religion, whether you are devout or have no religion at all, GO. You will not regret it.

Israel is as safe as any place I have ever been. Whatever reservations I had before my first visit have disappeared.

Now, I cannot wait to go back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home