Monday, January 15, 2007

Stingray City

One beautiful, hot day in Grand Cayman, Sol, Aniko and I dragged ourselves out of bed early and took a fantastic excursion, snorkeling and to Stingray City.
En route, sunning ourselves on the front of the boat.

Preparing for Phase 1 of the excursion: snorkeling off the back of the boat in the middle of the open ocean. There is a pretty reef in this area and lots of colourful little fish.

Sol doesn't swim, so she was a little nervous, but she was very brave and did great. I think she enjoyed it a lot.


Phase 2:

Stingray City. This is just as freaky as it sounds. It is a place where boats anchor on a sandbar and feed lots of stingrays that live in the ocean nearby. If you think this sounds like somewhere I would never want to visit, then you're right. Except I did want to go. So there I am. Those black things are stingrays.

This is our captain* demonstrating for us how to feed the stingrays. Yes, we are supposed to get in the water. And touch them. And feed them, being mindful not to touch our bodies afterwards. Stingrays have very poor eyesight and will glom onto any part of you that smells like squid, producing big red hickies.

* The captain told us he was once lost at sea for four days and survived by eating small shellfish off the ocean floor and doing other remarkable things that I have only read about in The Life of Pi. Nevertheless, I believe him.



There they are...




Aniko looking dubious.
A lot of the stingrays that visit this area are "regulars" and many even have names. They are very gentle and seem to be on good terms with people who come here often, like our captain.
There he is kissing one of them.
When I agreed to this excursion, I said I would snorkel and then take pictures of the stingrays from the boat.

But here I am in the water.

What can I say, except that I was in a brave mood. I'm glad I was, because otherwise I never could have seen how beautiful they are underwater, or taken the following pictures.

They looked to me like they were flying, soaring on their big gray wings. Absolutely beautiful.

When they brushed against you they felt soft and slippery and it was a freaky feeling, but otherwise, I loved them .











P.S. Just a reminder, if you want to see any of the photos in a larger size, just click on it. Enjoy!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that Cayman residents haven't gone on a stingray vendetta on Steve Irwin's behalf like they did down under. Crikey! Looks like another amazing day spent exploring this little world of ours. Hmm, swimming with stingrays... Lucky you. Not many people get to cross that one off their list of "Things To Do Before I Die." Er, then again, how many people would have it on their list in the first place? You look wonderful. If you're living a dream I hope you never wake...
Hope to see you the next time you're home.
Love you, Matty

8:14 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, best excursion I have ever done! I loooooved it, almost drowned though. Hi Sol and Aniko!!!

11:54 a.m.  
Blogger Anna Delaney said...

Myra!

Wow that looks amazing, good for you! And I'm especially jealous at the moment as I am currently dreading stepping outside, is -20!! I think I'd much prefer to be in Grand Cayman right now even with the stingrays.

Love you and miss you,

Anna

7:48 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe.Read your comment on Evelyn's blog, you're cute...I do check this everyday. If I don't write it's because your blog is so well done, you write so well and I think that my little blurbs of "Hey that's awesome", "what an incredible shot" or "I'm jealous, I'm jealous, I'm jealous"...might be a tad repetitious. But I will make an effort because I am enjoying your blog so much. Between yours and my cousin Chad travelling Asia and Europe...I've "been" to a lot of places:)
Jess

10:03 a.m.  
Blogger Evelyn said...

hahah "if I don't write it's because your blog is so well done!?!?!?!" Thanks a lot Jessica! haha just kidding! Myra, you have officially lost your mind! If the next excursion involves sharks, DON'T DO IT! Love you! Still waiting for an email from ya!

1:31 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. And I thought you were so safe!

10:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home