Friday, June 27, 2008

My Halifax

How lucky I am, that after all of my travels and all of my wandering, the city I call home is still one of my favourites in the world.

Halifax is a coastal city, a city of grand, shady trees, a city of music and indie art, of eclectic food and full of people overflowing with Maritime charm.

In Halifax I have found a small table one foot from the ocean and spent hours drinking beer and eating fish and chips in the sun.

In Halifax I have let myself get blissfully lost wandering through the maze that is the Saturday morning Farmer’s Market, sniffing at fresh cut blooms, sampling exotic foods and local favourites, stopping to enjoy a string quartet or a bluegrass band or a guy with a guitar and a sweet, resounding voice.

In Halifax I have sat for hours enjoying the quiet tranquility of the Public Gardens.

In Halifax, I can spend days browsing second-hand book stores, I can choose to study at half a dozen different universities. I can go for a run on the waterfront or along the coast in spectacular Point Pleasant Park. I can play Frisbee on the Commons. I can afford to live downtown, in a beautiful apartment building or a quaint old heritage house. I can buy exotic food from around the world at Pete’s Frootique. Hit the Multicultural Festival, Word on the Street, the Atlantic Film Festival, the Halifax Jazz Festival, the alFresco filmFesto and cool concerts on the Hill, take a Halifax Ghost walk, tour the tall ships. I can hop in a car and be home in three hours.

In Halifax, we are treated to a seemingly unlimited amount of fresh seafood. McDonald’s has a McLobster sandwich in the summer. I swear to God this is true. I don’t think locals actually eat it, but still. It exists.

If I’m not in the mood for seafood I can get a coffee and bagel at good ol’ Tim Horton’s for $2.

In Halifax, everyone drinks Keiths, the pale ale first brewed by one Alexander Keiths, elected mayor of this crazy city for three terms.

In Halifax, it’s rare to walk down the street and not bump into people you know. And I’m not sure it is possible to spend an entire day in this city without having at least one friendly conversation with a complete stranger. People say thank you to the driver when they get off the bus. Even when they use the back door.

In Halifax, I would look out of place if I used plastic grocery bags. Everyone I know and most people I see own environment-friendly ones. Some grocery stores have actually banned plastic bags.

In Halifax, there are garbage bins on the streetcorners and in fast food restaurants, but they are joined by bins for recyclables and organic waste – and people actually use them.

In Halifax, I don’t need to own a car. I can easily walk everywhere I need to go. And my walk will likely be a lovely one.

The Public Gardens

















I can't get enough of Cheelin's Chinese food.




Sweet, sweet crepes. Or savoury, if you prefer.
A few more of my favourite places around town. Spring Garden Road.
Schooners on the waterfront.
The Black Market.
Just a few of the many patios on Argyle.








My favourite used book store (The Trident).


















In winter the gardens go to sleep, but on a beautiful spring day they are thronging with happy Halagonians of every age, colour and walk of life. It is beautiful to behold.

There are clusters of prom-goers - girls in their sorbet coloured dresses, boys with carefully cultivated goatees and requisite shades, looking uber cool in their svelte black tuxes.

The benches are filled with people thankful for the beautiful weather after a long, true winter.

I love our seasons. If I hadn’t had to bundle up my flesh and brave those cold, snowy months, would I feel as content right now, sitting on a bench next to countless others on benches, the late afternoon sun slanting in low from my left, warming my skin and tinting it bronze, a soft, sweet breeze fluttering my hair across my face?

This, in the centre of My Halifax.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Myra, I totally agree....I love Halifax....it's a great place and you're lucky to be living there. But the best part of the city which you didn't mention is "GINGER GRASS"....lol...OMG..I am so craving that curry again. Hope to see you soon.

Love
Aunt Yvonne

10:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sniff sniff... thanks a lot.

I'm glad you've posted again. I hope you are doing well.

5:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to go to Halifax and hang out with you....go to all the same places..smell,touch, taste and see what you see...yes Halifax is a nice city. I don't know it much but I want to after this blog.

Love Aunt Louise

9:55 a.m.  
Blogger Amy Dempsey said...

Perfect, Myra.

10:19 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post and pics Myra! We are so lucky to live in Halifax :)
Angela

12:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Myra, Beautiful blog! Takes me back to when I lived in the city and always experienced it on foot. I'm sure Uncle David will smile when he sees that you included that guy who's so dear to his heart. Keep writing, you're a natural!
Aunt Elisa

7:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Myra, you make me want to move to Halifax. Reading your writing is like setting your eyes on Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper for the first time. You get absorbed in looking at each brush stroke and the way they all work together to produce this amazing work of art. You think is so amazing you can't stop thinking about how you have seen it a million times but somehow you have been awaken to its true beauty. Halifax will never be the same!
Aunt Therese

2:12 p.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

Myra! Hurry up and blog again!

1:28 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Makes me want to hop in a car, bus or train and make my way back to Hali.. sigh. Gorgeous writing, Myra! And beautiful pictures! I really think you should write a book - by now you probably have material for 10! Miss you! -Sarah

12:52 a.m.  
Blogger Saf said...

Oh my gosh, you are adorable. This post about Halifax is making me cry... and I haven't even left yet. And the pictures are gorgeous. You just get cooler every day. I am so excited to read more of your blog (especially when I am bored in Toronto). See you when I get back. Or there!

2:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home