Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Winding down

Well, here are the rest of the photos from our adventure in Russia and the Baltic. We begin with another day in St. Petersburg, where we took a full day tour outside the city to visit two stunning palaces.

My sister took this photo very early in the morning in St. Petersburg. Our ship was too big to dock downtown so we were in an industrial part of the city. I love the silhouettes of all the cranes against the rising sun.


Russia seems to have a lot of military bands that greet you everywhere you go. I really like them, actually.
I saw this monument outside the city twice and I wish I could remember the story behind it. I think it is to honour all the workingclass people who died fighting in various wars. I just wish I could remember more details. If anyone knows, please advise!
Here we are at Catherine's Palace, Tsarskoye Selo.



The lovely slippers you have to wear to go in.
Aunt Therese is speechless in the throne room.

The formal French gardens on the palace grounds.


After a busy morning at Catherine's Palace and a big Russian lunch, Mommy looks sleepy but happy on the drive to Peterhof.
No matter how many times I look at these photos, I cannot believe how beautiful this palace is.


Aunt Therese got a really good picture of one of the Asian rooms. You are not supposed to take photos in these rooms, but she asked and for some reason they let her, so, yay!



There are such beautiful decorations everywhere.
Peter the Great's bed. It looks quite small (and he was a big man) because the fashion at the time was to sleep almost sitting up, propped up on huge pillows.

The ornate chair next to the bed is a chamber pot. It was also the fashion of the time to display a photo of your enemy in the bottom of your chamber pot (hehe).


Wedgewood china designed especially for the royal family.
As beautiful as the palace is inside, it is the exterior that always takes my breath away. I can't help taking pictures, even from indoors.






The fountains are all unique and almost all spectacular. Many were designed by Peter himself, including a bunch of "trick fountains" that spray unsuspecting wanderers.










Dinner after a long few days and not much sleep.
Entering the Old Town in Tallinn, Estonia.
We didn't let a little rain dampen our spirits.
She is just so darn cute!








I love this pic of my mom.


She's strong too.







Klaipeda, Lithuania.
It's a pretty little town. I don't know what else to say about it though.


We let my sister loose in a Lithuanian shopping mall where she bought about 5,000 pieces of clothing for around $100. Can you say shopaholic?







The mall bathrooms are lit by blacklights. Isn't that weird?
Almost time to go home! Dinner at Murano's before the end of the cruise.

The restaurant is named after the Murano glass that decorates the interior. It is a favourite spot on the ship for Jack and I.
A wonderful end to a big adventure.
Again, if you want to see more photos and descriptions of these palaces, you can click here to see my previous visits. Enjoy!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic, as usual! you make me want to travel the world. Until I can afford it I will travel through your eyes

11:26 a.m.  
Blogger Myra said...

Who left that comment? You can't leave me guessing, it's not fair!

11:39 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]seo blackhat[/URL], It's not a big surprise if you haven’t heard of it before. Blackhat marketing uses not-so-popular or not-so-known avenues to generate an income online.

10:24 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home