Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Little Turkey and Not Nearly Enough Greece

Two of the most exotic stops on this cruise were Kusadasi, Turkey and Mykonos, Greece. Since we were working until the wee hours of the morning every night, we didn't get to spend the whole day outside in these places, but we managed to do some wandering, and of course, eat!






Kusadasi had a market that made my heart beat fast (haha) but we unfortunately ran out of time before I could explore it.
This is the restaurant we ate at, which served excellent Turkish/Mediterranean food, some of it very similar to what we eat in Israel. We had appetizers and spreads made of eggplant and other vegetables, kababs, rice, veggies, baklava, Turkish coffee and tea. It cost us $20.

Chillin'...





Turkish style tea, hot and strong.
When in Turkey..... you have to try the Turkish coffee. It was strong, thick and grainy but strangely tasty.
Turkish Delight for sale. I bought a small box but wish I had bought more, since it was quite tasty.
Oh, the money I could spend here...






I thought this was interesting... Evil eyes are HUGE in Turkey, as in pretty much all Mediterranean cultures. Everywhere you look there are magnets, jewelery and ornaments featuring the eye. It's meaning is similar to that of the hamsa, it is used to protect against the "Evil Eye" from others. In Kusadasi there was an entire street with coffee cup sized evil eyes embedded in the sidewalk.

Greece was a dream. So picturesque, so beautiful and romantic and ancient. Full of little white churches and bright blue doors. I loved Mykonos, the island we visited. It only made me more excited to visit other Greek islands someday.





























The tiny, labyrinthian streets were built deliberately to confuse pirates who would attack the islands hundreds of years ago.
Now they're filled with quaint little shops, restaurants and bars.



For dinner we wandered down to the Little Venice area of town, where the buildings are built almost in the water and you can sit at a table a foot away from the ocean. Mykonos is also famous for the windmills in the background.




This was our table with a view.













We sat for hours, eating delicious food and admiring the sunset and magnificent scenery. Jack said it felt like Heaven. It was pretty hard to leave.












5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I change my mind...these pictures are amazing...what an incredible experience. I'm so envious...I'll have to get Simon to check out this blog, maybe it'll help me convince him to get on a plane:)
Take care
Jess

4:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, this blog has some of my favourite pictures so far. I really want to go here, it is so beaufitul and I think that I would be in heaven wandering around all of these little shops filled with knick knacks and artwork. You and Jack look great and Im happy you get to experience all of this together :)take care,
i love you Myra
xoxo

1:15 p.m.  
Blogger Amy Dempsey said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:20 p.m.  
Blogger Amy Dempsey said...

This blog makes me want to get on the next plane back to Europe. Greece was in my top 5 list of countries I wanted to visit, but sadly I didn't have the time and money to make it. Someday. The picture of you and Jack on the beach is gorgeous:) The one of the Baklava makes me want to bust out the phylo and honey immediately! Mmmmm I'm salivating!

I laughed so hard when I read your last message on my blog. You're right, I am really slack, but things have finally slowed down and I promise to post soon. Stay tuned for Venice within the next couple of days, and take care Myra:) xo

4:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only reason I went back for the third contract... I needed to go back to the Med with Steven. Isn't it amazing. Your pics are beautiful. I'm so glad you guys got the chance to go. Where is your run now?

12:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home